New senior housing breaks ground in Pinehouse
- EFN Staff | June 17, 2016
The Governments of Canada and Saskatchewan, along with Pinehouse Housing Corporation (PHC), celebrated the ground breaking for a new 12-unit affordable rental housing project for seniors in the Northern Village of Pinehouse Lake.
Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), Social Services Minister and Minister responsible for the Saskatchewan Housing Corporation Donna Harpauer and Northern Village of Pinehouse Lake Mayor Mike Natomagan, made the announcement today.
“Our government is proud to support affordable housing for seniors in Pinehouse Lake,” said Duclos. “In addition to achieving important social objectives, this investment will spur short-term economic growth in this community. Congratulations to all partners involved in making this great project a success.”
“Our government is committed to keeping Saskatchewan strong, and that includes providing housing opportunities for people in greatest housing need, including seniors,” Harpauer said. “These units will be more than a place to live; they will be homes, places to gather with friends and family, and a community in itself. This project is an example of this government’s efforts to ensure that Saskatchewan’s growth benefits everyone in the province.”
More on Pinehouse:
- PHOTO GALLERY: Pinehouse Elders Gathering, 2014
- Pinehouse heads toward self-determination with guidance of Elders, new role in industry
- Northern officials, uranium mining company stand firm behind collaboration agreement
- Judge tosses lawsuit, business as usual at Pinehouse
“Our community is very grateful for this opportunity to build a 12-unit complex for the Elders,” Natomagan said. “The project benefits the elders by providing them with safe, affordable and efficient housing. We are also pleased to train apprentices in the process, use a local contractor, and provide one-third of the project cost. We thank the federal and provincial governments for working hard with us to make this community goal a reality.”
- The complex will consist of six one-bedroom units at 526 square feet or 49 square metres and six two-bedroom units at 807 square feet or 75 square metres, with common area space including a kitchen, dining, sitting area, washrooms, laundry, and a small consultation space.
- This project will be owned by PHC and built by Pinehouse Business North. PHC is a subsidiary of the Northern Village of Pinehouse.
- The Federal and Provincial Governments, through CMHC and Saskatchewan Housing Corporation (SHC), are jointly contributing $1.5 million toward the construction of the 12 units under the Canada-Saskatchewan Investment in Affordable Housing (2014-2019) Agreement.
- The funding balance of approximately $648,000 will be provided by the Northern Village of Pinehouse Lake and Pinehouse Business North in the form of cash, land equity and in-kind contributions.
- Completion is targeted for summer 2018.