Black Bean Quesadillas
- LiveWell Diabetes Program – Aim 4 Health, Saskatoon Health Region
This recipe is brought to you by Aim 4 Health, which is part of the Saskatoon Health Region LiveWell Diabetes Program. Aim 4 Health offers a friendly and supportive environment for First Nations and Metis people at risk of developing diabetes, or who already have diabetes and would like extra support in managing their own care. At Aim 4 Health, we’ll meet you where you’re at in your diabetes journey, without any judgement or pressure. Our services include individual and group diabetes education, an adult diabetes clinic, a drop-in exercise program three times per week at White Buffalo Youth lodge, and cooking groups to help you learn how to prepare nutritious and budget-friendly meals for you and your family. For more information call (306) 655-LIVE (655-5483).
2 tbsps vegetable oil
2 chopped medium onions
1 diced sweet green pepper
1 diced sweet red pepper
2 tbsps regular chilli powder
1¼ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed (19 oz /540 mls cans)
1¼ cups canned corn, drained and rinsed (12 oz/341 mls cans)
2½ cups salsa (About two-12 oz jars or one 640 ml jar)
- In large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion, green and red peppers.
- Add chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add black beans, corn and salsa. Use less salsa if you prefer a drier mixture.
- Cook, stirring often, until heated through — about 5 minutes.
10 large whole grain flour tortillas
5 cups shredded cheddar cheese (purchase 640 g bag if you are using prepared shredded cheese)
1¼ cup low fat sour cream (about 300 mls; sour cream can be purchased in 250 or 500 ml sizes)
Additional salsa for dipping
- Evenly spoon bean mixture over half of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Fold uncovered half over top and press lightly.
- Place on large rimmed baking sheet. Bake in 425˚ oven, turning once until golden, about 10 to15 minutes.
Serve with low fat sour cream and salsa for dipping. Add carrot sticks and cucumbers on the side, and milk to drink, for a complete meal.
Makes 10 servings.