Classic Pea Soup
This recipe is a great way to use up left over ham.
- 1-1/2 Tbsp canola oil 20 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped onion 125 mL
- 3/4 cup diced carrot 175 mL
- 3/4 cup diced potato 175 mL
- 1 cup yellow split peas 250 mL
- 4 cups water 1 L
- 4 packages( 4-1/4 oz/6.5 g each) light instant chicken bouillon
- 1/2 cup diced cooked ham 125 mL
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper 0.5 mL
In large saucepan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat and add onion, carrot and potato. Saute until vegetables are tender.
Add split peas, water, bouillon, ham and bay leaf.
Bring to boil; reduce heat; cover and allow to simmer for about 45-60 minutes or until peas are tender and soup has thickened. Stir occasionally. Remove bay leaf. Add pepper just before serving.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving Size: 1 cup (250 mL).