Strategies for your mental and physical health, managing during Coronavirus.
- Joel Pedersen | March 26, 2020
I hope this column finds you and your families safe and healthy. As we all navigate through the pandemic that is sweeping across the world, and in some of our communities. Where most of our lives and routines have changed to something we had not planned. Today I sit at home looking out the window, listening and watching the birds at the bird feeder. My dog is waiting patiently to go for a walk or a run, she comes over to where I am sitting every few minutes. I am trying to remember what last month felt like; what my life was like where I thought it was fairly manageable and content, at times it is challenging to make sense of it. I am paused to remember to have gratitude for what I have today, and fond memories of all the communities that I have visited, and people I have met since Fitness 2J2 programming started in 2011. Marci Cho and Kinanaskomitin.
I intended to bring you up to date on stories and photos of a Basketball Camps for youth in all the Northern Communities partnering with NSCRD; Our first Saskatchewan Justice Security Guard course, and Security guard self-defense program that we partnered with PAGC. Both of these programs were to be at no cost to participate. Due to the COVID-19 protocol, we will postpone them; and look forward to bringing the programs once all our lives become manageable. A special Thank you to RCMP Stony Rapids Sgt. Desfosses, and his detachment’s support in providing CPIC checks for the applicants to our Security program. To all the Nurses, Doctors, First Responders, Hospital and Clinic staff, Community Leaders we will all be forever grateful for what you are doing for our health now; and to the next weeks and months that lay ahead.
The programming of Fitness 2J2 initially was about providing functional fitness for youth and adults of all ages and abilities, with communities that may not have had many options. To remove some barriers to health and positive lifestyle; empower community members to be fitness leaders for the health and wellness of the community. As I reflect on the beginning and from starting on the bottom not knowing much about business or entrepreneurship, Fitness 2J2 has come a long way. The focus is the same, and so now with fitness leaders and self-defense and security leaders, we can provide more programming and stories of success and hope for our communities.
Reviewing some of my recent notes and program assessments from participants, I believe and confirm that the formula of Physical; Mental; Emotional; Spiritual health is important to our overall well being. At this time and space, there will be new challenges for you and your family. For some, we have the access to the northern forests, and open land, for some we are in cities, either way, as long as we are following the direction from health officials and respecting social distancing the outdoors can be healing for you.
Here are some strategies that I hope may be of benefit for your mental and physical health, and managing during Coronavirus.
Things you can do to support yourself:
• Keep a sense of hope and positive thinking, this to shall pass.
• Try to eat healthy balanced meals, exercise regularly, plenty of sleep, avoid alcohol and drugs.
• Avoid excessive exposure to media coverage of Coronavirus.
• Take care of your body, deep breathing, stretch and meditate.
• Make time to unwind, remind yourself strong feelings will fade.
• Connect with others through social media; share your concerns and feelings with your friends and family.
• Maintain healthy relationships.
Taking care of your wellbeing.
• Try to keep active mentally and physically.
• Keep your mind stimulated.
• Connect with people through social media.
• Make a healthy routine.
• Take care of the news and information.
• Find ways to relax and be creative.
Reactions you may feel:
• Worsening of chronic health problems.
• Difficulty concentrating.
• Change in behaviour and demeanour.
• Fear and worry about your health and that of your family.
• Increased use of alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs.
Fitness 2j2 is a socially responsible; community-based Indigenous Health and Wellness Company, providing programming to Indigenous communities. Follow on Facebook for no-cost home-based workouts, or check the webpage at www.fitness2j2.com for downloadable fitness system or DVD. 10% of proceeds will go back to community youth sports and programming.