Web poll results: Premier should apologize for 60's Scoop
- EFN Staff | March 03, 2017
Last week Eagle Feather News came out with a weekly web poll question after an Ontario judge has ruled in favour of 60's Scoop survivors. The question posted Should Premier Brad Wall issue the apology he promised in June 2015? Readers responded yes with 91.84% and 8.16% answered no.
In last month’s media release, the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) National Chief Perry Bellegarde responded to the Ontario court decision and says the Sixties Scoop survivors deserve justice, healing and reconciliation.
“The Sixties Scoop was part of an ongoing attempt by Canada to rob First Nations children of their language, their rights and their identity. Children have the right to speak their language and stay connected to their heritage,” he says. “[It’s] a step towards reconciliation.”
About two years ago, Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall issued a statement that a formal apology will be made to the Sixties Scoop survivors– but still to this day no apology has been made. He added that no compensation would be given to the survivors.
However, Tony Merchant’s law firm will be pursuing a Sixties Scoop class-action litigation against the government.