All I want for Christmas…
- John Lagimodiere | December 29, 2020
Well, after a 2020 that will be impossible to forget, we can now turn to trying to make a memorable Christmas season in a good way. And really, the Christmas season is all about the kids isn’t it? We were fortunate to get several letters through an honest mistake at the post office (darn Covid). They were from the George Gordon Education Centre grade 2 class and their teacher Kim Latoski. We took a quick peek before we realized they were actually addressed to Santa!
So, we stuck them back in the envelopes and made sure they were expressed to the North Pole in time for the jolly old elf to grant them their wishes. But really, we snuck a peak first. So, below are some of those kids requests for Christmas mixed in with some from the adults around here. We wonder if you can tell which are which. So, in no particular order, kids and adults (well, me really) are hoping for the following things this Christmas.
- Can you deliver vaccines to the elderly, the vulnerable and our health care workers semak! We know you have on-time guaranteed delivery.
- “I hope my brother feels good.” “I want my gramma to feel better”
- I want some slime!
- We would like Premier Moe to have a sit-down tea and hour-long conversation with Tristen Durocher to chat about how Tristen spent his summer vacation.
- Deliver a practical and immediate suicide prevention strategy implemented across the province.
- One giant hug and several days off with pay for every health care worker out there. The days off include being fed and catered to and free massages and no stress or worries. And a big bucket of gratitude delivered the next day.
- Same for the teachers! Do not forget the teachers!
- I want a PS5 for my dad
- Deliver a great election for the Métis Nation-Saskatchewan in the spring. The registry is registering. The affiliates are rocking and rolling, and the Métis Nation-Saskatchewan is in the best shape ever financially and capacity wise. Going to be an interesting campaign. Lots at stake!
- Provide a great election for the FSIN in the fall. Always important and interesting.
- UNDRIP? How bout that?
- Mitts. Shoes. A water bottle. Notebook.
- Being able to play hockey, volleyball, and other sports so very soon. Kids and old farts miss their exercise, teammates and horsing around.
- I want a dog please.
- Portable ice fishing shack 😊
- Long term dedicated funding for Prairie Harm Reduction, the province’s only safe injection site. Jason Mercredi deserves a big box of Christmas cheer for all he has done there.
- I would like some bendy slashers.
- Books! Books in Dene. Books in Cree, Dakota, Michif. English even! Perhaps Stephen King.
- Powwow and festival season to come upon us and we are all healthy and have herd immunity. Some people need to dance.
- Back to Batoche thunderstorms!
- Roblox stuff. (Older folks will have to Google this)
- Empower our children. Hold close our Elders. Keep us safe.
- Teddy bears!
- A bannock slap of reason and chunk of coal for anti-maskers.
- HI Santa. Can you please stop Covid?
Wow. Here is hoping that all those wishes come through. You just know Santa is going to deliver a Christmas and then a 2021 that will be good for all of us.
Despite the immensely challenging year we have had, we are still here. That is frigging awesome. Give yourself a high five from me right now. Really. High five yourself right now……..Well done. That felt good didn’t it? We got this.
Hug the family members you can safely hug this Christmas. Soon in 2021, we can hug the rest of them, and all will be better. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from our family to yours.