Braised Beef and Vegetable Stew.
This beef and vegetable stew is a healthy take on a hearty classic. Braising allows the beef and vegetables to reach the perfect tenderness while the tomatoes, red wine and Worcestershire give the dish just the right amount of acidity.
- 2 lb lean stew beef or bison 1 kg
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 cups chopped carrots, about 6 carrots total 750 mL
- 2 cups cubed rutabaga, about 1 x 2-inch (2.5 x 5-cm) cubes 500 mL
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon leaves 2 mL
- 1 tsp dried summer savory* 5 mL
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour 60 mL
- 1 can (10 oz or 284 mL) low-sodium beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes 250 mL
- 1 cup red wine, merlot or Burgundy wine 250 mL
- 1/2 cup water 125 mL
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce 15 mL
- 2 stems fresh rosemary
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
In large, 14 cup (3.5 L) Dutch oven, place beef, onions, carrots, rutabaga and garlic. Drizzle with canola oil and toss to coat.
Sprinkle with thyme, pepper, tarragon, summer savory and flour. Toss to coat.
Add beef broth, tomatoes, red wine, water and Worcestershire. Place rosemary stems on top.
Cover and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove from oven. Remove rosemary, stir and serve. Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to three days.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 1 cup (250 mL).