Upcoming economic development conference releases program highlights
- EFN Staff | December 11, 2018
As 2018 winds down, Forward Summit is heating up introducing key partners and speakers to its three-day event. Hosted at Calgary TELUS Convention Centre from February 26 – 28, Forward Summit is a professional environment dedicated to advancing economic partnerships, discovering opportunities for change and supporting national relationships between Canada’s industry leaders and Indigenous communities.
Forward Summit seeks to assist in the fulfillment of Recommendation #92 of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s Calls to Action, which specifically calls on the corporate sector.
The Forward Summit Leadership Council includes respected Indigenous leaders and influencers such as Co-Chairs JP Gladu from the Canadian Council for Aboriginal Businesses and Chief Charles Weaselhead former Treaty No.7 Grand Chief.
“We’re looking forward to presenting the Forward Summit in Treaty No.7. As a former Grand Chief and Chief, I understand the importance of creating platforms where Indigenous People have the opportunities to connect with the business community, industry leaders, entrepreneurs and governmental executives to ensure that our future developments and narratives are shared and respected,” said Chief Charles Weaselhead, Co-Chair of Forward Summit.
Supporting the Co-Chairs at Forward Summit is a Leadership Council that includes representatives of Indigenous communities and Canada’s major industries. Having a leadership team with a deep understanding of industry and Indigenous communities allows Forward Summit to be an impactful platform for collaboration and the exchange of knowledge.
The estimated 400+ attendees that include Indigenous and Industry leaders, as well as the finance and HR communities from across Canada will gather at the Summit in Calgary. Attendees participate in three days of expert panels, collaborative roundtables and educational workshops with a focus on advancing partnerships in key industries that drive our economy. In addition, the networking opportunities on and off the show floor give attendees the opportunity to meet and continue conversations in a relaxed and professional environment.
An exciting component of Forward Summit is the Post Summit Action Plan. The Action Plan is a framework that sets initiatives in motion throughout 2019. It’s crucial that important conversations taking place at the Summit between industry and Indigenous leaders draw tangible results. The Post Summit Action Plan establishes accountability on the goals discussed at the Summit and can be formally presented to the federal government.
Conference program highlights were released near the end of 2018 and include several panel and roundtable topics.
- The Power of Procurement – A look at “Supply Change” One Year On – Presented by the Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business
- The Common Objective – Moving Projects Forward Together – Presented by The First Nations Major Projects Coalition
- From Seed to Success
- Inspirational Women’s Series
- Hydrocarbons – The Economic Reconciliation Trailblazer
- The Growth of the Cannabis Industry
- Clean Tech – Funding the Future Energy Mix – Presented by Gridworks Solar & Electrical Experts
- Attracting Global Capital & Sustainable Indigenous Economic Participation
- Complete access to the three-day conference
- Over 25 panels, roundtables and workshops
- Opening Night Reception
- Access to exhibition floor
- One on one meeting scheduling through the Forward Summit mobile app